MLI Commentary on how oil and gas benefit all Canadians makes waves in the media across the country
May 31, 2012 – Since its release yesterday, No Dutch Treat: Oil and Gas Wealth Benefits All of Canada has received a great deal of attention in the media including articles in the Toronto Star, The Globe and Mail, and National Post. The Commentary has stirred up debate in major newspapers across the country and our authors, Brian Lee Crowley and Robert Murphy, have been on radio and television news outlets to discuss the issues.
In No Dutch Treat: Oil and Gas Wealth Benefits All of Canada, Murphy and Crowley argue that even provinces not directly involved in oil and gas enjoy large gains from such activity in other provinces. “While the so-called ‘Dutch Disease’ mechanism may operate, in practice it is . . . offset by the gains to the overall Canadian economy,” they write.
Print Publications highlighting No Dutch Treat: Oil and Gas Wealth Benefits All of Canada:
Toronto Star, May 30, 2012, “Oil and gas benefit all Canadians, Macdonald-Laurier Institute says”
Globe and Mail, May 30, 2012, “Oil sands fuel think-tank debate over Dutch disease”
National Post, May 30, 2012, “Was Thomas Mulcair right? New report supports ‘Dutch Disease’ claim”
The Calgary Herald, May 30, 2012, “Does all of Canada benefit from the oilsands?”
Toronto Sun, May 30, 2012, “Oilsands rhetoric ramps up on eve of Mulcair visit”
Edmonton Journal, May 30, 2012, “Lamphier: Mulcair’s fixation on ‘Dutch Disease’ simple-minded”
The Vancouver Sun, Edmonton Journal, May 30, 2012, “’Oilsands fever’ is clouding political judgement, analyst warns”
Reuters UK, May 30, 2012, “Canada opposition leader heads West amid oil scrap”
Financial Post, Ottawa Citizen, Canada.com, May 30, 2012, “Create savings fund to cure oil sands fever: Pembina”
Toronto Star, May 30, 2012, “Mulcair’s politically deft oilsands critique is right (sort of)”
Financial Post, May 30, 2012, “Oil sands region’s mayor braces for Mulcair visit”
CBC News, May 30, 2012, “Oilsands fever’ seen as Canada’s Dutch Disease”
Winnipeg Free Press, May 30, 2012, “Mulcair confident of warm reception on first visit to Alberta’s oilsands”
Vancouver Sun, May 31, 2012, “Mulcair to visit oilsands today, says he’s not against the West”
Globe and Mail, May 31, 2012, “Alberta takes offense to Mulcair ahead of his visit”
CTV Edmonton, May 31, 2012, “Alberta NDP welcomes Thomas Mulcair to the oilsands”
The StarPhoenix, May 31, 2012, “Mulcair needs to seize chance”
The Chronicle Herald, May 31, 2012, “Mulcair out to clear the air in Alberta”
The Sudbury Star, May 31, 2012, “Adding fuel to oilsands fire”
TV and Radio Appearances
May 30, 2012 – Bob Murphy appeared on Sun News Network’s “Right Now” with host Caryn Lieberman (TV)
May 30, 2012 – Brian Lee Crowley was interviewed on CBC radio in Calgary
May 30, 2012 – Brian Lee Crowley appeared on Rob Breakenridge’s radio show (Alberta)
May 30, 2012 – Brian Lee Crowley interviewed by 660 News in Calgary
May 31, 2012 – Brian Lee Crowley appeared on Sun News Network’s “The Source” with host Ezra Levant (TV)
May 31, 2012 – Brian Lee Crowley to appear on Geoff Currier’s radio show “Night Hawk”
June 1, 2012 – Brian Lee Crowley to appear on the Rutherford radio show (Alberta)
More to come!
- Is crime in Canada really declining? Recent MLI study makes waves across the media February 22, 2013 – In a new MLI study released on Thursday, Police-reported Crime Statistics...
- MLI study on the opinions and values of Canadian Muslims makes waves November 8, 2011 – Our recent study, What Do Muslim Canadians Want?, has received a...
- MLI Commentary in the media: It is time to free Canadians to move and trade June 23, 2011 – MLI’s Commentary, Freeing Canadians to Move and Trade, written by MLI Managing...
- MLI Senior Fellow Laura Dawson and Charles Shapiro write about the CNOOC-Nexen deal in Sun Media newspapers across the country August 8, 2012 – MLI Senior Fellow Laura Dawson and Charles Shapiro, President of the...
- Rob Breakenridge Radio Show Highlights MLI Commentary, Are We Running out of Natural Resources The Rob Breakenridge Radio Show interviewed MLI Managing Director Brian Lee Crowley on the Commentary, Are...
Please note that the link above was live when posted. Older links may no longer be functional.