John Robson and George Young Join Macdonald-Laurier Institute
Ottawa, June 14, 2010 — The Macdonald-Laurier Institute
, Canada’s only truly national public policy think tank based in Ottawa, today announced the appointments of John Robson as Managing Editor and George Young as Director of Communications, effective June 21, 2010.
In welcoming Robson the Managing Director of the Institute, Brian Lee Crowley, said, “I am delighted to have John Robson as the first Managing Editor of the Macdonald-Laurier Institute. This appointment reflects MLI’s commitment to proposing thoughtful alternatives through non-partisan and independent research and commentary.”
John Robson is a columnist with the Ottawa Citizen, a broadcaster with News Talk Radio 580 CFRA in Ottawa and an Invited Professor at the University of Ottawa. He holds a Ph.D in American history from the University of Texas at Austin, specializing in foreign and economic policy. In addition to his academic and journalistic work on governance, he spent six months on Parliament Hill as a Social Policy Researcher and another six as a Legislative Assistant in the mid-1990s.
Reflecting on his appointment, Dr. Robson commented, “I am very excited at the prospect of joining MLI and look forward to working with our team as we initiate, investigate, and communicate new public policy ideas for Canadians.”
In announcing the appointment of the new Director of Communications, Mr. Crowley said, “We are pleased that George Young has joined our growing team. Successful communications is a key for our organisation and his practical experience in the world of government and politics will help us immensely.”
George Young spent more than twenty years working as a cheese maker for Canadian and multi-national firms. Following the federal election in 1993, he moved to Ottawa and spent the ensuing 16 years working in and around government, serving as the National Director of the Liberal Party of Canada and Chief of Staff to ministers at National Revenue, Fisheries and Oceans, National Defence and Social Development Canada, prior to a stint in a former Opposition Leader’s Office. He also served as a VP for a large Canadian public opinion research firm and has acted as a consultant to various organisations.
Mr. Young commented, “The think tank environment is a missing piece of my public sector career. I am looking forward to working in a non-partisan environment where ideas stand and fall on merit alone.”
For more information, or to arrange an interview with Brian Lee Crowley, John Robson or George Young, please contact Stephanie Delorme at 613-482-8327 ext. 101 (email@example.com
- John Robson et George Young se joignent à l’Institut Macdonald-Laurier Ottawa, le 14 juin 2010 – L’Institut Macdonald-Laurier, le seul institut national de politiques publiques...
- Macdonald-Laurier Institute Announces New Director of Communications OTTAWA, ON April 5th, 2013 – The Macdonald-Laurier Institute, Canada’s fastest rising independent, non-partisan think...
- Renowned economic analyst Philip Cross joins the Macdonald-Laurier Institute as new research and editorial co-ordinator OTTAWA, July 16, 2012 – The Macdonald-Laurier Institute (MLI) is pleased to announce the appointment...
- Karine Hopper joins the Macdonald-Laurier Institute as new Director of Administration MEDIA RELEASE OTTAWA, November 19, 2012 – The Macdonald-Laurier Institute (MLI) is pleased to announce...
- The Macdonald-Laurier Institute welcomes Ken Coates as new Senior Fellow MEDIA RELEASE OTTAWA, January 3, 2013 – The Macdonald-Laurier Institute (MLI) is pleased to announce...
Please note that the link above was live when posted. Older links may no longer be functional.