The Macdonald-Laurier Institute (MLI) is the leading federal public policy think tank in Ottawa. It exists to help ensure Canada is the best governed country in the world. To do this we must not only produce public policy research and commentary of the highest quality and greatest relevance to Canadians, we need to ensure our work reaches the broadest possible audience of policy makers, opinion leaders, and the public. This requires the development of a comprehensive approach to digital media, communications, and media relations.
To that end, MLI is seeking a full-time, permanent employee in the role of Communications Officer based at MLI’s Ottawa office.
The ideal candidate will have experience and expertise in writing, multimedia, web design, and or media relations, with a strong background knowledge related to public policy. Furthermore, the ideal candidate will operate with a high degree of consistency and independence.
The Communications Officer will be reporting to the Communications and Digital Media Manager. He or she will be responsible for maintaining the Macdonald-Laurier Institute’s online presence and brand, whether that be on the MLI website, social media platforms, in communication with the press, or in the development of multimedia products, including videos, podcasts, and graphics.
The Communications Officer will undertake a variety of writing assignments – including press releases, fundraising emails, donor proposals, newsletters, and more – that contribute to the success of MLI’s widely recognized work on domestic, foreign, and Indigenous topic areas.
He or she will also be responsible for providing monthly, quarterly, and annual communications reports to track the success of the communications team.
The ideal candidate will be extremely comfortable working with tight deadlines and enjoys the cut and thrust of vigorous debate over national public policy in Canada. The Institute is strictly non-partisan; working for MLI is incompatible with active membership in any political party.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Writing newsletters, press releases, and fundraising letters;
- Creating communications reports;
- Reporting the status of MLI’s communications successes to Management;
- Developing communications plans;
- Producing MLI video and podcast products;
- Managing the uploading of various products to the website;
- Developing content for social media;
- Assisting with media relations;
- Supporting MLI’s various events as needed;
- Engaging directly with media and stakeholders to promote MLI work;
- Taking on other projects as required by the Communications Manager.
Desired technical skills, qualifications and experience:
- Bachelors degree, college diploma, or higher in a discipline such as communications, journalism, public policy, political science, or another relevant subject area;
- Workable knowledge of a vast of federal public policy areas with an eagerness to learn more;
- Ideally, a minimum of two years of relevant experience in communications or public policy related work;
- Experience in developing reports and managing analytical data;
- High level of interpersonal communication ability;
- Results-orientated with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities in a small organization:
- Experience interacting with members of the press;
- WordPress expertise, or similar equivalent website management skills;
- Communications planning qualifications or knowledge;
- Digital media experience, such as video recording and editing, podcast recording and editing, graphic design, and more;
- Experience in proposal writing, op ed writing, professional editing, fundraising, and more;
- Exceptional writing and communication ability in English; French language capability is an asset, though not required
The Macdonald-Laurier Institute offers a pay and benefits package that is competitive with equivalent positions in Ottawa.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV to Brett Byers, communications and digital media manager, email@example.com.
Application deadline: January 24, 2020
MLI would not exist without the support of its donors. Please consider making a small contribution today.