The Macdonald-Laurier Institute is a vibrant, think tank in Canada’s capital city, where we have a major impact on the federal public policy debate. We are seeking a dynamic Finance Administrator to be an integral part of our team. As the Finance Administrator you will provide financial administrative support to the Manager of Administration and Finance, while working in conjunction with all other staff, and the Managing Director. You will report directly to the Manager of Administration and Finance.
The Finance Administrator will work collaboratively with the team to provide exceptional productivity and accuracy in bookkeeping. This full cycle accounting position requires a high degree of accuracy, efficiency and organizational skills. The ideal candidate must commit to working at our downtown location full time. They must be extremely comfortable in working with Simply Accounting (Sage 50).
REQUIRED CHARACTERISTICS AND SKILLS
- Enjoys the cut and thrust of vigorous debate over national public policy in Canada
- Understands the unique nature of the think tank world
- Works well with a team of diverse personalities
- Tactful, mature, flexible, decisive and organized
- Strong communication skills, oral and written and follow-through skills
- High level of ownership of tasks, accountability and initiative
- Ability to recognize and act on the organization’s priorities
- Results-orientated with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities in a small organization
- Minimum 3 years working in an office environment
- Minimum of 3 years working with Simply (Sage 50), Excel and MSWord
- advanced Sage and Excel experience and Advance MS Office skills required with the ability to write macros;
- Previous experience in producing monthly financial reports, deferred revenue reporting and payroll management
- The Institute is strictly non-partisan; working for MLI is incompatible with active membership in any political party.
Start Date: April 15, 2019
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV to Amber Russell , Manager of Administration and Finance at Amber.Russell@macdonaldlaurier.ca no later than 4 pm, March 22, 2019. Only those whose applications are considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Accounts Payables and Receivables
- Analyze, code and balance all accounts payable entries, including reimbursements to staff and vendors, periodically and at month end
- Balance accounts payable & accounts receivables
- Prepares and present the monthly deferred revenue statements to management
- Ensuring the respect of all financial internal controls meet auditor standards
- Delinquent accounts reviews on a monthly basis
- Maintains the integrity of accounting ledgers
- Resolves account discrepancies
- Prepares all bank deposits, RRSP contributions to respective financial institutions
- Reconcile monthly financial statements, including PayPal, credit card, bank balance sheet, revenue and income statement, trial balance, variance report and cash flow for approval by management
- Ensure all account receivable invoices are issued promptly
- Issues receipts for all donations upon receipt of donation
- Prepares payments by verifying documentation, and requesting disbursements
Budgeting and Reporting
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information into Simply Accounting.
- Manages project budgets and monthly analysis of project expenses.
- Maintains financial records by filing and organizing all accounting documents.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information
- Prepares monthly and quarterly financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information
- Maintains donor confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential
- Manage and submit all donor reports – financial, donor payment requests, and thank you letters
- Ensures all financial records are in order for the annual audit
- Plan the annual audit
- Annual fiscal year back up
- Liaise with the auditor to perform the annual audit
- Bi-weekly Payroll (Ceridian) Management and its associated activities
- Maintains the vacation log, issuesT4 summary T4’s and records of employment
- Manage the group health insurance plan
- Submits monthly RRSP contributions
Revenue Canada Filing
- Files the annual HST return, source deductions, EHT, and ROEs
- Preparation of fiscal year end working papers for the audit
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents
- Cross trains staff on accounting procedures
- Plan and manage all monthly financial meetings
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Develop and/or implement accounting procedures and systems to support the Institute’s operations, and in accordance with MLI policies and procedures
- Secures financial information by completing daily database backups
- Assists with the preparation of the annual plan