The Chinese Communist Party is determined to reshape the world in its image. The party is not interested in democracy. It sees only a bitter ideological struggle with the West, dividing the world into those who can be won over, and enemies. Many political and business elites have already been lured to their corner; others are weighing up a devil's bargain.
Through its enormous economic power and covert influence operations, China is now weakening global institutions, aggressively targeting individual corporations, and threatening freedom of expression from the arts to academia. At the same time, Western security services are increasingly worried about incursions into our communications infrastructure.
To shed light on these issues, MLI hosted the digital launch for Clive Hamilton and Mareike Ohlberg’s new landmark book, Hidden Hand: Exposing How the Chinese Communist Party is Reshaping the World.
At this online event, authors Hamilton and Ohlberg discussed the Chinese Communist Party's global program of subversion and the threat it poses to democracy, including Canada's, with MLI Senior Fellow Charles Burton.
- Brian Lee Crowley, MLI’s Managing Director
- Dean Baxendale, President and Publisher, Optimum Publishing International
- Clive Hamilton, co-author of Hidden Hand: Exposing How the Chinese Communist Party is Reshaping the World and author of Silent Invasion: China's influence in Australia
- Mareike Ohlberg, co-author of Hidden Hand: Exposing How the Chinese Communist Party is Reshaping the World
- Charles Burton, MLI Senior Fellow